Traffic Violation FAQ

Do I have to go to court?

Most minor traffic offenses do not require an appearance in Court. If you have had fewer than two convictions for a moving violation in the last two years, you can pay the stated amount at  the Clerk’s office, or you can send a check or money order payable to Medina Municipal Court, 135 North Elmwood Avenue, Medina, Ohio 44256.

Be sure to state who the ticket is for, or enclose a copy of the ticket. When you do this, you are admitting guilt. Your payment should reach the Court by the Court date at the bottom of the ticket. DO NOT SEND CASH. If you need a receipt, please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

What offenses require a court appearance?

  1. Any serious offense (see “Waivers” section below).
  2. Operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse.
  3. Leaving the scene of an accident.
  4. Driving while under suspension or revocation of a driver’s or commercial driver’s license.
  5. Driving without being licensed to drive, if you have never had a driver’s license.
  6. A third moving traffic offense within a twelve-month period.
  7. Failure to stop and remain standing upon meeting or overtaking a school bus stopped on the highway for the purpose of receiving or discharging a school child.
  8. Willfully eluding or fleeing a police officer.
  9. Drag racing.


What offenses cannot be paid with a waiver?

Serious offenses which carry a possible jail sentence (e.g., driving under the influence of alcohol, driving under suspension, etc.), moving violations (e.g., speeding, assured clear distance, stop sign, traffic light, etc.) when the defendant has been convicted of two or more moving violations in the last 12 months.

What types of offenses can be paid with a written waiver?

Generally, minor traffic offenses can be paid through the mail. The defendant must include full payment of the fine and court costs (as contained on the waiver card usually provided by the officer at the time the citation is issued), along with the defendant’s blue copy of the ticket. The defendant must complete and sign the waiver information requested on the reverse side of his blue copy of the citation and send it along with his payment. If the citation notes that a personal appearance is required, the defendant must appear on the date specified on the citation.

Waiverable Ticket Amounts

What happens if my fines and court costs are not paid on time?

Your driver’s license may be suspended. If you are a licensed driver of another state, your violation may be reported to that state and your driver’s license suspended until fine and costs are paid. A registration/warrant block may be issued.  This prevents defendants from renewing their driver’s license and obtaining license plates and registration stickers. The case may also be referred to a collection agency.  The collection agency charges an additional fee for its services, as allowed by Ohio law, and the defendant will be required to pay the collection fee plus fines and court costs. A civil judgment may be rendered against you.  This would allow your wages, bank accounts, and other property to be garnished.  The civil judgment would also appear on your credit report.